Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss BOOK REVIEW!!!



                                                                  Amazon ** B&N



Title: The Name Of The Wind

Author: Patrick Rothfuss

Published: DAW Books



My name is Kvothe.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.




Born into a traveling troupe family Kvothe has always been a different sort of child, with his bright red locks and beautiful green eyes he has always stood out among the other performers. You see Kvothe is very smart for his age and it shows when he meets an older gentleman during his families travels that has the ability to do sympathy (which is a form of magic used in the story) which he has only heard about in stories but never really seen in person. The man joins the traveling troupe in exchange for his help with odds and ins. Kvothe takes a liking to the new stranger and becomes quite interested in the use of sympathy. He has wanted to join the University to learn from the masters how to master sympathy but since that future seems far fetch for someone like him, Kvothe asks the new stranger to teach him a some things just get him started on the right path. 

Kvothe took to learning the basics of sympathy quickly but didn't possess all of the knowledge of it's use before the stranger decided to go his own way leaving Kvothe with just a valuable book of knowledge in sympathy, but there is still so much out there that he hasn't even scraped the surface of yet. One day while off on his own doing his own thing for a bit Kvothe comes face to face with a very powerful enemy that people have only talked about in legends that will intern leaving him with the hardest lesson of all, the path to his dreams would be a difficult and heartbreaking road. 

This is how legends are made but just know that not everything is as glorious as it seems from afar and greatness comes at a pricey cost. 


Rating





Thoughts: I read this book because I saw it circling around the Book Tube community with the phrase that it was much like Harry Potter. I will agree with them only half way, it is somewhat like Harry Potter in the way that there is a school that teaches a sort of magic but I feel like this story goes farther than Harry Potter does and doesn't just center around just the school. The world in the story is very rich with characters and personality but never lets you forget that the world is a cruel place and isn't just sunshine and roses for everyone. I got very attached to the main character as well as some of the other smaller characters and I wish that the whole series were done and can be read because it's a story you don't want to be left hanging with. I will leave you with one warning though, this is an adult to mature teenager book and should not be taken lightly and I will ask that if you do read the book then don't go into the story expecting everything to be just like HP because this story kind of stands apart from the one magic school most know and love.  




No comments:

Post a Comment